Coconut Red Curry Soup
This soup is also delicious with cubed sweet potato, as well as a handful of greens (such a spinach or kale leaves) tossed in to wilt at the end.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time45 mins
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1/2 yellow onion diced, about one cup
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger, grated on a microplaner, about 1 tablespoon
- 2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste (I use Thai Kitchen brand)
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, cubed
- 2 cups cubed butternut squash (about half a large squash)
- 4 boneless skinless thighs or 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed in 1-inch pieces (optional)
- 1 13.5-ounce can coconut milk (not low-fat)
- 2 cups chicken stock or water
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce (I prefer Red Boat brand)
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- Kosher salt
- Optional Garnish: Cilantro, Thai basil and/or red pepper flakes for additional heat
In a large pot over medium heat, warm the avocado oil. Add the onion and sauté for 3-5 minutes until soft and translucent. Add the ginger and red curry paste and stir to combine.
Add the carrot, red pepper and butternut squash, salting the vegetables with about 1 teaspoon kosher salt, and stir to combine. Add the chicken, if using, and stir.
Stir in the coconut milk, chicken stock and fish sauce. Stir to combine. Let simmer on low heat until vegetables are soft and chicken is cooked, about 15-20 minutes.
Add the lime juice and taste for seasoning, adding more salt if necessary.
Serve with steamed rice or cauliflower rice and optional garnish.