Instant Pot Chicken and Sausage Gumbo (Whole30)
If you’d like to substitute shredded rotisserie chicken for the chicken breast, reduce cooking time to 10 minutes on manual/high. This isn’t a traditional gumbo that starts with a roux, it’s more like a chunky soup or stew that’s full of gumbo flavor!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 yellow or white onion, diced
- 4 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Creole seasoning
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons arrowroot powder
- 2 cups cubed chicken thighs, about 2 pounds total
- 12 ounces fully cooked andouille sausage, sliced
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 8 ounces okra, sliced (optional)
In the base of your Instant Pot, warm the oil on the sauté setting.
Add the diced onion, celery, and bell pepper; season with salt and pepper and sauté until tender, about 6 minutes.
Add in the cayenne, thyme, Creole seasoning, garlic, tomato paste and bay leaf and sauté for another minute.
In a separate bowl, whisk together 1 cup of the chicken broth with 3 tablespoons arrowroot powder. Whisk until arrowroot has dissolved. Pour into the Instant Pot and stir to combine. Stir in the remaining chicken broth.
Add in the chicken and andouille sausage.
Close the lid of your Instant Pot and set the valve to “sealing.” Hit the “manual” button and set to 20 minutes on high pressure.
When the time is up, as you quick release the steam be careful not to scald yourself. I use a towel and tongs to quick release the steam before opening the lid. When the steam is released, remove lid and stir. Taste for salt and pepper and add a dash of hot sauce if you prefer.
Note: If you’d like to add the okra at this point, first add the sliced okra to a sheet pan and roast it in a 420 degree oven for 12 minutes or until slightly browned. Then add the crunchy okra on top of the bowls of gumbo.
Serve with a scoop of steamed rice or cauliflower rice and sliced green onions.