Red Curry Carrot Ginger Soup
Whole30, dairy-free and vegan, this red curry carrot ginger soup is full of flavor. It freezes well, so make a double batch and stash some for a busy night down the road.
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 tablespoon coconut butter or coconut oil
- 1/2 medium onion peeled and chopped
- 2 celery sticks diced
- 6 cups carrot unpeeled and chopped (roughly 8 medium-size carrots)
- 1 sweet potato peeled and chopped
- 4 cups vegetable stock add additional stock later to thin the soup if you'd like
- 13.5-15 oz can full-fat coconut milk low-fat also works fine
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger a microplaner works best for this
- 1 tablespoon Thai red curry paste
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
In a large soup pot over medium heat, warm the coconut oil. Add the onions and celery and sauté over medium heat for about 2 minutes. Add the carrots and sweet potato and let cook, stirring occasionally, for another 5 minutes. Pour in the stock and coconut milk. Add the garlic, ginger, red curry paste and chili flakes. Cover the cook until the carrots and sweet potatoes soften, about 15 minutes more.
After the vegetables have softened, use a hand held immersion blender to purée the soup. Or you can carefully transfer the soup to a blender in batches and purée.
Taste and adjust salt if necessary. Garnish with fresh herbs and additional chili flakes if desired.