Whole Chicken in the Crock Pot
This makes for a juicy whole chicken that you can either have for dinner or use for salads and snacking throughout the week. And just because everyone asks, no water or chicken stock is necessary!
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt or sea salt
- 2 white or yellow onions peeled and cut in quarters
- 1 lemon sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1-2 large crushed garlic cloves
- Fresh ground pepper
- 1 whole chicken 3-4 pounds
Pat the chicken dry with paper towels and sprinkle kosher salt on the skin.
Place the onions, lemon, bay leaf and garlic on the bottom of the crockpot and rest the chicken, breast side up, on top. Top with fresh ground pepper.
Cover and cook on high for 3 hours or on low for 5 hours.
* If you prefer crispy skin, after the chicken has finished cooking transfer it to a roasting pan and broil for 2-3 minutes. Use a big spatula and a pair of tongs to transfer, it will fall apart easily.