Quick! Enjoy all the stone fruit while you can. And while you’re at it, add some toasted crusty bread rubbed with garlic, creamy burrata, summer basil and flaky sea salt. Burrata and stone fruit crostini is full of sweet summer flavor and super simple to put together.
Nectarines are my fruit of choice for this summer appetizer, but the flavor is equally delicious with yellow or white peaches, apricots or plums. When summer fruit starts to wane (or if it’s not quite ripe enough), throw it on a hot grill pan to soften and caramelize. To assemble the crostini, spread the burrata on the prepared bread and cover with thin slices of the fruit, sprinkle with a thin chiffonade (which just means thin slices) of basil, crunchy sea salt and a fine drizzle of raw honey. Voila! I promise you can’t have just one.
If you’re planning to entertain over Labor Day weekend, this should be your go-to appetizer. It will take 10-15 minutes to pull together, and it’s a celebration of the last of summer produce. Feel free to cut each piece of crostini into halves or thirds for smaller bite-size pieces if you’re serving a crowd.
Stone fruit crostini, a glass of Prosecco, and kids splashing in the pool will help wash your end-of-summer blues away.
Photos courtesy of Something New for Dinner.
Burrata and Stone Fruit Crostini
- 2 nectarines or peaches sliced ¼-inch thick, or 4-5 apricots or plums
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 slices rustic bread such as sourdough
- 1 garlic clove
- 8 ounces burrata cheese or fresh mozzarella
- 8 fresh basil leaves sliced into a chiffonade
- 1-2 tablespoons honey
- Flaky sea salt such as Maldon
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Place sliced bread on a baking sheet and toast until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and, being careful not to burn yourself, rub both sides of the toasted bread with the raw garlic clove.
- Top each piece of crostini with two ounces burrata. Arrange nectarine rounds on top of the burrata. Sprinkle the basil on top and drizzle lightly with honey. Sprinkle with flaky sea salt and serve immediately.