At the risk of sounding smug, this is what I’d call a “stupid easy” dinner. It’s one of those set-it-and-forget-it wonders that makes your night stress free. Or at least the dinner prep portion of your night. This is my answer to late baseball nights, busy work weeks and general chaos.
The taco toppings are key here — fresh cut avocado, diced tomatoes, cilantro and pickled jalapeño all fit the bill. To make your life even easier, purchase prepared pico de gallo or good-quality guacamole. I usually have a variety of tortillas: Siete Foods grain-free tortillas, sprouted corn tortillas and soft flour tortillas. You could also use butter leaf lettuce or jicama to wrap up the shredded chicken.
Trust me and make a double batch of this genius meal: It freezes well and can be used for chicken and green chili quesadillas or chicken nachos down the road. So dust off your mama’s Crock Pot or your shiny new Instant Pot, plug it in and throw in your ingredients. You’ve got things to do, don’t let dinner get in the way!
Salsa Verde Chicken (Slow Cooker or Instant Pot)
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken either breasts or thighs or a combination of both
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12- ounce jar salsa verde such as Herdez or Trader Joe's, or 1 1/2 cups homemade tomatillo salsa
Slow Cooker Method:
- Pat chicken dry with paper towels and season with garlic powder, cumin and salt and place in the bottom of the slow cooker. Pour in the salsa verde and stir to combine. Cook on high for 2 hours or low for 3-4 hours.
- Shred the chicken with two forks. Keep warm (in the slow cooker covered with a lid) until ready to serve in taco shells, tortillas or in a salad bowl.
Instant Pot Method:
- Season chicken with garlic powder, cumin and salt and place in the bottom of the Instant Pot. Cover with salsa verde and stir to combine. Close the lid and cook on the poultry setting for 10 minutes. Make sure the vent on the lid is set to the sealing position. When it's finished cooking, use the quick release or let the steam release naturally. Shred the chicken with two forks and serve.