A Super Easy Party Appetizer
Garlic, herbs and tomatoes in a warm bath of extra virgin olive oil makes your whole house smell intoxicating. Pour the just-baked mixture over goat cheese and serve it with crostini or crackers, and it makes the perfect party appetizer.
HOW TO MAKE THE CONFIT
Look for the smallest size organic cherry tomatoes. I like a mixture of red, yellow and orange cherry tomatoes, but any color variety works. The tomatoes will cook down and release some of their liquid, so don’t worry if they seem a little large. Organic tomatoes aren’t a must, but tomatoes are on the dirty dozen list, so they’re something that’s best to buy organic whenever possible.
Extra virgin olive oil is crucial for this recipe, it’s one of the main components that adds its own flavor and acts as a conduit for the rest of the ingredients. The herbs, garlic and tomatoes are warmed in the olive oil and a fragrant sauce develops. When straight-from-the-oven confit is poured over room temperature goat cheese and scooped onto crackers, it’s the perfect bite.
For the goat cheese, I use an unflavored chévre. One of my favorites is Laura Chenel, but I also use the regular Trader Joe’s brand and it’s delicious.
Feel free to change up the herbs depending on what you have on hand. Basil sprigs would be delicious in summer or thyme, chives and parsley almost all year long.
Other Ways To Use Tomato Confit
Cherry tomato confit would also be delicious slathered on open-faced crusty bread. Change up the goat cheese for burrata if you’d like. Serve the confit over roasted chicken or salmon, toss it with angel hair pasta or add to grilled cheese paninis. It’s basically good with everything.
Cherry Tomato Confit and Goat Cheese Appetizer
- 2 cups small cherry tomatoes
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 4 chives
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4-6 ounces goat cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a glass or ceramic baking pan, add the tomatoes, garlic, extra-virgin olive oil, herbs and salt. Bake for 45-60 minutes or until tomatoes are softened and oil is bubbly. Remove the tomatoes from the stove.
- Place the goat cheese in a small rimmed serving platter. Top the goat cheese with the warm cherry tomato confit mixture, herbs and garlic. Serve immediately with baguette slices or crackers.