What to do with leftover cranberry sauce? Cranberry margaritas! Fresh, bright and colorful, they’re the perfect holiday cocktail. I make them non-stop from Thanksgiving through New Year’s and never tire of their tart-sweet taste.
These are equally good with leftover homemade cranberry sauce or canned sauce in a pinch. Although homemade cranberry sauce will create a more bright and vibrant cocktail. You can also add a touch of lime zest to the rim of your glass for a pop of citrus and color.
Is triple sec necessary for margaritas?
Triple sec is a type of orange liqueur that adds a fruity punch to margaritas, but it’s not necessary. Especially when you’re using fresh squeezed orange juice and homemade cranberry sauce like we are here.
What type of tequila do you prefer?
What can I use instead of tequila in a margarita?
If you don’t have or like tequila (in which case, there’s a high probability you skipped right over this post) substitute vodka. In fact, the resulting cocktail has its own name: the vodkarita.
Cranberry margaritas for a crowd?
There are big batch directions in the recipe! You may not be inviting big crowds over this holiday season, but you can make your refills extra easy.
Looking for more cranberry recipes?
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt, pink Himalayan salt, or Redmond Real Salt
- 1 tablespoon turbinado or cane sugar
- 4 ounces freshly-squeezed lime juice, half for rims of glasses and half for cocktail
- 4 ounces freshly-squeezed orange juice
- 4 ounces silver tequila
- 1/4 cup cranberry sauce or store-bought cranberry jam
- Mix salt and sugar on a small plate. Place 2 ounces of lime juice on another small plate.
- Dip the glass in the lime juice and then the salt mixture. Fill the glass with ice.
- To make the cocktails, combine remaining 2 ounces lime juice, orange juice, tequila, and cranberry sauce in a cocktail shaker. Fill the cocktail shaker up the rest of the way with ice. Cover and shake well for about 30 seconds. Pour into the ice-filled glasses. I prefer these cocktails unstrained because I like the cranberry pieces and pulp, but feel free to strain with a cocktail strainer.
- To make a larger batch, fill a small pitcher with 1/2 cup lime juice, 2 cups orange juice, 1 cup tequila, and ½ cup cranberry sauce into a pitcher. Mix well to combine. Keep chilled and use to fill ice-filled shakers before pouring into prepared glasses.