Ground Chicken Lettuce Cups
Chicken lettuce cups are a family favorite, and making them has become second nature to me. My kids ask for these about once a week. It’s one of those dinners that gets put together in 15 minutes once you have it down. You can work as you go, which I don’t typically recommend.
Just warm up your pan with a little oil, brown your chicken (or turkey or pork) and while that’s cooking, chop the carrots and green onions.
Once you add the veggies to the pan, measure and mix the sauce ingredients and pour them over the browned meat. And a quick tip to get your ginger peeled? Use the side of a teaspoon. Another tip? Store your sesame oil in the refrigerator (nut oils tend to go rancid faster). You’re welcome.
What to Serve with Lettuce Cups
I like to serve these lettuce cups or “tacos” with plenty of extra garnishes and fixings: Julienned red or yellow peppers, cucumber sticks, avocado wedges, shelled edamame, cilantro leaves, sriracha, sesame seeds or chopped toasted peanuts. Load ’em up. Any leftover meat can be used to warm up for tomorrow’s lunch.
Asian Lettuce Wraps
- 1 tablespoon organic avocado oil any neutral flavored oil is fine
- 2 pounds ground dark meat chicken or turkey or pork
- 4 green onions white and green parts sliced thin, about 1 cup
- 2 large carrots diced (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce or tamari use coconut aminos to make Whole30
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce omit to make Whole30
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger about a 2-inch section, grated on a microplaner
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil omit to make Whole30
- 1 large head bib or butter lettuce washed, dried and leaves separated
- ¼ cup roughly chopped cilantro
- In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, warm the oil and brown the ground chicken, breaking it up the pieces. When it’s almost cooked through, add the green onions and carrots and saute with the chicken for about 2-3 minutes.
- In a bowl, stir together the soy sauce, hoisin, ginger, water and sesame oil. Pour over the chicken mixture in the pan, cover and simmer for 5-7 minutes, until carrots are soft.
- To assemble each chicken wrap: Top a lettuce leaf with about 1/4 cup of chicken mixture and sprinkle with cilantro. Serve with other optional condiments on the side (julienned red pepper, cucumber sticks, shelled edamame and chopped peanuts).