My family could survive on Mexican food alone. And I’m talking any incarnation or Americanized version — street tacos, fajitas, queso, enchiladas, nachos, you name it. For a quick fix at home, these baked chicken taquitos are a new gold standard around here. They tend to disappear off the cooling baking sheets, so now I make a double recipe and freeze single servings for after-school snacks or last-minute dinners. You can bake them off and once they cool, portion them out into servings that work for you and put them in freezer bags. Complete no-brainer.
I also use this filling for my green enchiladas. I’ve adapted it from the memory of eating something similar with my college roommate at her parent’s home many moons ago. The combination of green chiles and a round, creamy sauce is such a win-win. And here, it’s so easy to accomplish with cream cheese, jarred green salsa (I use Trader Joe’s brand) and some shredded chicken. You can make it even easier on yourself by shredding a rotisserie chicken. It will take you five minutes to mix up the filling and just a few more to fill and roll the tortillas. But, totally worth it when warm taquitos hit the table (that is, if they didn’t disappear).
Creamy Chicken Taquitos
To make this qualify for a "Meatless Monday" dinner, fill with refried pinto beans, cheese and chilies. To make it gluten-free, use your favorite gluten-free tortillas. Resist the temptation to buy pre-shredded cheese that's coated with anti-caking powder -- grating your own cheese is the only way to go. For the shredded chicken, use a whole chicken cooked in a Crock Pot, a rotisserie chicken or a poached whole chicken breast. Serve with queso fresco or sour cream, salsa and guacamole.
- 3 cups shredded chicken
- ½ block cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 cup shredded jack cheese
- 1 cup mild green salsa (such as Herdez or Trader Joe's)
- 4 oz can mild green chiles
- 3 green onions, white and green parts sliced thin
- 1 cup cilantro leaves (if you don't like cilantro, leave it out)
- 12 corn or flour tortillas
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, stir together the shredded chicken, cream cheese, jack cheese, green salsa, chiles, green onions and cilantro.
- Fill each tortilla with 1/4 cup chicken mixture. Spread the mixture in a line close to one edge of the tortilla and tightly roll the tortilla into a taquito. Brush the outside of the taquito with oil (I like to use organic avocado oil or Spectrum brand Canola-Coconut oil, but extra virgin olive oil works great also) and place seam side down on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until slightly brown and crispy.