Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
This is a simple Mexican soup. If you would like to add corn tortillas as a garnish, toast and cut them into thin strips. I prefer my soup with a lot of lime – about a whole juiced lime on top of every bowl. This would also be delicious with a cup of hominy or garbanzo beans added to the mix.
- 2-3 cups shredded chicken about one whole boneless/skinless chicken breast, four boneless/skinless chicken thighs, or the leftover meat from a rotisserie or whole chicken in the crock pot
- 4 corn tortillas cut into thin strips
- 2 14.5 oz cans fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 5 cups chicken stock
- ½ onion diced
- 1 zucchini diced
- 1 yellow squash diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano minced
- 1 teaspoon chile powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 limes cut in quarters
- Place all the ingredients, except the lime, in a slow cooker and stir to combine. Cook on high 3-4 hours or on low 6-7 hours. If you use uncooked chicken in the soup, shred it before serving.
- When ready to serve, spoon the soup into bowls and top with lime juice, grated jack or cheddar, sliced green onions, sliced jalapeños, sliced radish, cilantro, Mexican crema, avocado slices and hot sauce to taste.
To make this recipe vegan, use vegetable stock instead of chicken stock. Instead of the shredded chicken, use one 15-ounce can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed. Omit the cheese and crema garnishes.