Cranberry, Pecan and Pumpkin Seed Granola
If you don’t have a large sheetpan, use two cookie sheets when baking the granola and rotate them halfway through. The granola needs to cook in a single layer so it toasts evenly. If you use dark baking pans, decrease the time by 10 minutes and check the granola while cooking to make sure it doesn’t burn. The egg white in this recipe helps the granola bind together, creating crunchy and toasty clumps. The recipe will work just fine without the egg if you’d like to leave it out. This is the perfect holiday granola to feed a crowd of hungry guests, or to package as holiday gifts for neighbors and friends.
- 3 cups gluten-free oats I use Bob's Red Mill
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut I like to use thicker cut unsweetened coconut chips
- 1 cup pecans coarsely chopped
- 1 cup hulled pumpkin seeds pepitas
- 1/4 cup avocado or extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg white about 2 tablespoons
- 1 1/2 cups dried cranberries substitute dried cherries, blueberries or golden raisins if you prefer
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients, except for the egg white and the dried fruit. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg white until frothy and doubled in volume. Then, pour over the granola mixture and mix well to combine.
- On a large parchment paper-lined baking sheet, spread the granola out in a single layer. Bake for 45-55 minutes. Halfway through baking, flip the granola over in sections with a large spatula and rotate them in the oven.
- Once the granola is golden brown, remove from the oven and add the dried fruit. When the granola has completely cooled, transfer to an airtight container and store for up to a week.
Amazing and easy recipe! My family loves it and suggested this be our homemade treat to give away as Christmas presents this year!
Love that you all made that for your holiday treat! Merry Christmas!!