This is the time of year when you may find yourself with neighbors who stop by for a glass of wine, extra family members to entertain and feed or just hungry mouths in general. Grab some Shishito peppers and everything bagel spice and fire up your oven, help is on the way.
If you’ve been reading these posts long enough (thanks for sticking with me, mom!) you know I’m a fan of TJs. When I saw their Everything But the Bagel Spice on the shelves this fall, I threw it in my cart not quite knowing what I’d do with it. Thus the life of a Trader Joe’s shopper.
But when I came home with yet another bag of Shishito peppers, and wanted to gussy them up and make them feel a little different for my family, the spice suddenly came in real handy. If you don’t have a TJs near you, you can make this homemade version. King Arthur Flour also sells an everything bagel spice variation.
Be warned that eating Shishitos is sort of Russian roulette for your taste buds, about one in ten is seriously spicy. It may be just what you need to quiet down houseguests during the holidays.
Roasted Shishito Peppers with Everything Bagel Spice
- 12 ounces shishito peppers
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil
- 2 tablespoons everything bagel seasoning
- Preheat the broiler. Line a sheetpan with parchment paper.
- Toss the shishito peppers with oil and broil on the top rack until charred and crispy in spots, about 1 minute.
- Carefully remove pan from the oven and immediately sprinkle with everything spice. Transfer to a platter, scraping extra spice mix on top of the shishitos on the platter. Serve with lemon wedges or herbed yogurt sauce.