Easy Enchilada Casserole
Grab a rotisserie chicken and a few staples that you may already have, and let’s make a super easy dinner. Enchilada casserole is a “Taco Tuesday” staple around here that’s just as good reheated for lunch the next day.
- I typically have Hatch red enchilada sauce in my pantry, but Frontera brand is also good. You could make your own enchilada sauce, but this is supposed to be a 10-minute prep dinner situation. I’ll leave that decision up to you!
- Use any tortillas you prefer: flour, corn or grain-free Siete Foods brand all work great. You can also use a combination of a couple varieties of tortillas if you want to use up the odds and ends in your refrigerator.
- Beans are another staple that are always in my pantry. Make this easy layered casserole with whole pinto beans, black beans or refried beans. If you use refried beans, they’ll be difficult to spread so just dot them all over each layer of the casserole.
- Jack cheese is my preference, but shredded white or yellow cheddar works too.
Feed a Crowd
Double or triple this recipe to feed a crowd, just use a square or 9×13 casserole pan. This is also a great thing to take to a family with a new baby, or one that just needs a savory and satisfying family dinner. Hands up!
Easy Chicken Enchilada Casserole
Use shredded poached chicken breast or rotisserie chicken, or sautéed ground turkey or beef instead. If you'd like, layer in roasted corn, chopped green chilies, black beans or refried beans. Once cooled slightly, top with thinly sliced radishes, cilantro and avocado slices.
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 15- ounce can enchilada sauce
- 15- ounce can tomato sauce
- 6 soft tortillas
- 2 cups shredded chicken white or dark meat
- 1 15- ounce can whole pinto or black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup Monterey jack cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the enchilada sauce and the tomato sauce in a medium size mixing bowl. Stir to combine.
- Prepare a round pie dish or square casserole pan by drizzling a couple tablespoons of the enchilada sauce mixture on the bottom of the dish.
- Dip a tortilla in the enchilada sauce mixture. Place the tortilla in the bottom of the baking dish. Layer with shredded chicken, beans and ¼ cup enchilada sauce. Top with another sauce-coated tortilla, shredded chicken, pinto beans and sauce. Repeat with the remaining tortillas and filling.
- Top with remaining enchilada sauce and grated cheese.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Leave a Reply