Just in time! Right before kale and Brussels sprout season is over, I need you to get your hands on this recipe for my favorite kale salad. (And just to clarify, yes kale is available all year, but it’s really a winter crop.)
It all started at the end of last summer when we made a quick trip to San Miguel de Allende to celebrate a friend’s birthday. Over the course of a night that may or may not be a little blurry in my memory, what remains is the kale salad we had at The Restaurant in SMA. It turns out that the owner of The Restaurant, Donnie Masterton, is a friend of a friend from San Francisco. I badgered him for the recipe (which he said “the ladies love”) but I never got a real copy of it in my hands. So, here’s my closest copy cat version, and even if it’s not exactly the same, it’s pretty darn close. And ya, I can concur, the ladies love it…
This kale salad is super quick, easy and full of flavor. There’s no need to massage the kale with the dressing, just chop it fine and toss it well. Removing the tough center stalk is the magic that keeps the bites of salad even in texture and free of woody stems. And if you use your food processor to chop the Brussels sprouts, the prep is finished in no time. You could add some dried cranberries or currants for color, or chopped green apples for crunch, but honestly it’s plenty delicious just the way it is.
Kale and Brussels Sprouts Salad
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 small garlic clove finely minced
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt plus more for seasoning
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large bunches Tuscan kale about 1 1/2 pounds total, center stem removed, leaves sliced very thin
- 12 ounces Brussels sprouts trimmed, finely grated or chopped in a food processor
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup Marcona almonds with skins coarsely chopped
- 1 cup grated Pecorino or Manchego cheese
- Combine lemon juice, Dijon mustard, shallot, garlic, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and a pinch of pepper in a large salad bowl. Whisk olive oil into lemon-juice mixture. Season dressing to taste with salt and pepper. Add the sliced kale and shredded Brussels sprouts to the bowl and toss to combine. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Garnish with almonds and shaved cheese.
- DO AHEAD: Dressing and kale mixture can be prepared 8 hours ahead; cover dressing and kale mixture separately and chill.
Looks delicious! Gonna try it. Thanks Marcia
Vashti N Collins
Hi Marcia from your TT group on FB, I literally just told myself I need to pick up some kale! At least now I know what to do with it. I want to start making more at home recipes as well so I am so glad you put how to make the lovely dressing you used here. I have been on a salad kick lately and needed a new one to add to the recipe list, this is perfect!
Let me know if you make the salad, Vashti. It’s delicious, healthy and fast! So happy to connect through Facebook!
This is my favorite kale salad. The dressing is perfect!
So happy to hear that! It is in constant rotation in my kitchen!