Craving something sweet for breakfast that has fuel to get you going, but tastes like a chocolate shake? Whirl up this chocolate, almond and date smoothie full of nutrient dense supplements and whole foods. It all started one day after I played tennis in the Texas heat and I came home feeling like my face was on fire and I was hot, hot, hot and hangry. And we definitely do not want that to happen!
That day, I just so happened to have homemade vanilla almond milk in our fridge, but I’ve also made a variation of this smoothie with store bought unsweetened almond milk (and also water in a pinch). Stick to the Amazing Grass Green Superfood Chocolate (I’ve tried other chocolate supplements and protein powders and this is my favorite).
Any brand of ground flaxseed or flaxmeal (not whole flax), chia, hemp hearts and cacao are fine, but I prefer to buy organic varieties. Look for Medjool dates, and remember to remove the pit from the middle. Chunky almond butter is my favorite, because of the consistency, but you can substitute peanut butter, cashew butter or sunflower butter.
Smoothies have been our go-to breakfast lately; they’re portable, quick and nutritious. Give this rich and satisfying chocolate smoothie a try, and let me know what you think in the comments below. Breakfast of champions. (Well, not on the tennis court. But a girl can dream.)
Chocolate, Almond and Date Smoothie
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk or water in a pinch!
- 1 ripe banana fresh or frozen
- 1 heaping tablespoon crunchy almond butter
- 1 scoop Amazing Grass Superfood Chocolate
- 1 teaspoon each chia seeds ground flaxseed, hemp hearts and cacao
- 2 pitted Medjool dates
- 1/2 cup ice about 10 cubes
- Blend all the ingredients together in a high powered blender. If using a frozen banana, decrease the amount of ice by half.