Easy Caesar Salad (Whole30 Adaptable)
If there’s a shortcut, I’m in. Making every single thing from scratch is valiant and all, but who has the time? I have carpool to drive, people! Shortcut caesar salad to the rescue. It’s a super easy side to grilled steak or delicious as a main dish topped with roasted salmon or rotisserie chicken. The dressing gets made directly in the salad bowl, so there’s one less thing to clean as well!
As an alternative to traditional caesar salad, toss the dressing with shredded Lacinato kale (remove the center stem before thinly slicing the kale and tossing the greens with the dressing). Add halved red grapes, cherry tomatoes or dried cranberries for a touch of color and sweetness.
To make the salad Whole30, first make sure all the ingredients are complaint, i.e. read the labels! I recommend using Primal Kitchens avocado mayo and check the ingredients on your dijon mustard as well, sugar can sneak into almost anything. Then be sure to omit the Parmesan and croutons–to add crunch just add some chopped roasted almonds or pistachios.
Add this to your Labor Day Menu stat! All you need to do is grill up some tri-tip on the side and you’re good to go.
Shortcut Caesar Salad
Yield 6 servings
You can either leave the romaine hearts whole, and slice them lengthwise, or break the leaves into bite size pieces. To make the salad Whole30, use compliant mayo (like Primal Foods) and omit the Parmesan and croutons. Adapted from Bon Appetit, July 2018
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste or 1 well-minced anchovy filet
- 1 garlic clove, grated on a microplaner
- 2 level tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup shaved Parmesan
- 1 1/2 cups croutons (homemade or store bought)
- 2-3 romaine hearts
- In the base of your salad bowl, add the anchovy paste, the grated garlic clove, mustard, lemon juice and mayonnaise. Mix well to combine.
- Slowly drizzle in the olive oil while whisking to emulsify.
- Tear the romaine leaves into small pieces and add to the salad bowl, along with the shaved parmesan and croutons. Toss to combine.