I can’t believe it’s March! Two weeks until Spring Break and then buckle your seatbelt for the fast paced ride to summer. I’m teaching an afternoon cooking class today, so dinner at my house is something fast and simple. I think I’ll repeat the Spicy Ground Turkey and Green Bean Stir Fry we’re making in class:
Spicy Green Beans and Turkey Stir Fry (Serves 4)
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed
- 3 tablespoons avocado oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3/4 pound dark meat turkey
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons sambal oelek, or sriracha
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar (not seasoned)
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch or arrowroot powder
- For serving: 2 cups cooked sushi or short grain rice.
- Preheat the broiler. Toss the green beans, 1 1/2 tablespoons avocado oil and the salt on a rimmed baking sheet. Broil, stirring once, until the beans are tender and charred, about 8 minutes.
- Heat the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons avocado oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add the turkey and cook, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until browned, 3 minutes. Add the garlic, and chile paste and cook until the garlic is slightly golden, about 3 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the chicken broth, soy sauce, sherry and cornstarch. Add the green beans to the skillet with the turkey mixture and cook, stirring, to combine. Add the soy sauce mixture and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens slightly, about 2-3 minutes.
For meatless Monday, I’m making my veggie chili topped with sour cream or grated cheese, thinly sliced radish and cilantro. My kids like to top their bowls with a scoop of steamed rice. If you don’t feel like making a whole pot of rice, microwave smaller size servings of frozen cooked rice. If you make a big batch of steamed rice, set aside one cup of cooked rice for tomorrow night’s dinner.
Mexican stuffed peppers. Use my homemade taco seasoning or Siete Foods Taco Seasoning and stock up on either Herdez or Trader Joe’s salsa verde for serving. Or use Frontera red or green enchilada sauce in place of the salsa. Serve with a butter leaf or baby gem salad tossed with my jalapeño ranch or super simple salad dressing. Make with ground beef, turkey or chicken.
I have a private cooking class today and an afternoon of kid’s haircut appointments and tutors. Grilled beef kabobs with a side of chimichurri sounds hands-off and easy. Serve with a big green salad. I plan to pick up pre-marinated kabobs from Central Market or Whole Foods, but they’re not hard to make on your own.
Mom’s going out! Kids can make their own pizzas with store-made pizza dough from either Central Market or Trader Joe’s. Roll it out on a floured surface and top with Rao’s Marinara, mozzarella, dollops of pesto and thinly sliced red peppers or mushrooms, pepperoni or shredded rotisserie chicken. If you don’t have a pizza stone, just cook the pizza on a parchment paper-lined sheet pan. Serve with a big kale salad (omit the Brussels sprouts if you don’t feel like dealing with them), spinach and pea pesto salad or use up the rest of Tuesday’s jalapeño ranch in a salad.
Date night at home: Chicken piccata with a white wine, caper and lemon sauce. You can make this gluten-free by using arrowroot powder, but it doesn’t adhere to the chicken as well as all-purpose flour. Gluten-free flour might turn out slightly gummy in the sautéd chicken, but almond flour is a good gluten-free substitute as well. Serve with steamed or roasted broccoli or a sheet pan of roasted haricot vert or sautéd garlic spinach. Here’s my recipe for sheet pan roasted green beans:
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon everything bagel seasoning (available at Trader Joe’s, Williams-Sonoma or from McCormick)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cover a sheet pan with parchment paper or foil and spread the green beans in a single layer.
- Drizzle the green beans with olive oil and toss gently to combine. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and roast on the top rack of the oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with bagel seasoning; serve warm.