Roasted Squash and Arugula Salad + Farm Girls Supper Club
Two weeks until the next FGSC! What’s that, you say? A couple times a year, I co-host a seasonal pop-up dinner called Farm Girls Supper Club. Along with local Houston creatives Courtney Paddock of Little Coterie and Kelli Bunch of KB Table, we create an al fresco dining experience that’s a labor of love. This roasted squash and arugula salad was on the menu at the Winter 2018 dinner. It’s full of crunchy shaved celery, sweet pomegranate and caramelized roasted squash that’s perfect this time of year. We feed about 85 at the dinners, with seasonal cocktails and passed appetizers and a seated family-style meal. Last winter, this roasted squash and arugula salad was served alongside a cornmeal soufflé as our first course. I’ve been dreaming about it ever since!
I’ll share the salad recipe below, but I also want to give my Austin, San Antonio, Midland and Dallas people a chance to grab tickets to this one-of-a-kind event. Proceeds support the Houston chapter of Dwell with Dignity. Thanks to the support of our co-chairs, Suzanne Coppola, Susan Staley and Julie Dodson, and food sponsors Smith Story Wine, Old Country Olive Oil, Unity Bread, Tehuacana Mineral Water and various local farms in Houston, we can make your dining experience one you’ll never forget.
Seasonal Texas Supper Club
For every dinner, we develop new recipes that use the freshest seasonal ingredients. And our next dinner is no exception! Grab your seat to our October dinner fast––from cocktails to dessert, there is no detail spared. The location of these dinners is typically a secret until the week prior, but we are appreciative of Marburger Farm for donating their space and we want our guests to be able to make hotel plans in advance if necessary.
Join us Wednesday, October 2 at Marburger Farms in Round Top, Texas, for Farm Girls Supper Club. We can’t wait to share our table with you!
Other Fall Salads on Smart in the Kitchen:
Roasted Squash Arugula Salad
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoon whole grain mustard
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus more for roasting
- 1 delicata squash
- 1 shallot
- 2 celery stalks
- 3 tablespoons pomegranate seeds
- 1 cup baby arugula
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf Italian parsley leaves
- In the base of your salad bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, mustard, garlic and salt. Slowly add in the olive oil while whisking to combine. Dip in a leaf of arugula to taste the dressing and adjust with salt, olive oil or vinegar if necessary.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Cut the delicata squash lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Slice thin, about 1/8″ to 1/4″ wide, and add to a parchment paper-lined sheet pan. Peel and cut the shallot in quarters and add it to the sheet pan. Drizzle everything with a little extra-virgin olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt. Spread out the squash and shallot so it’s in a single layer on the sheet pan, adding a second pan if necessary. Roast on the top rack of the oven for 30 minutes.
- Thinly slice the celery with a mandolin or a knife. Add to the salad bowl, reserving any celery leaves for garnish. Add the pomegranate seeds and set aside.
- Once the squash has roasted and cooled, add it to the salad bowl along with the arugula and toss gently to combine.
- Top the salad with whole parsley leaves and any remaining celery greens. Sprinkle with crunchy sea salt, such as Maldon, and serve.