Three Bean Salad
This one takes me back. Anyone else? It’s an old school side dish my grandma used to make for lunches when I’d visit. I remember hers being deliciously sweet and almost syrupy. My variation of three bean salad uses healthy pantry ingredients and has multiple substitutions to make it work for you. It comes together ultra fast and will be something you can snack on all week long.
Start with three varieties of beans. I used drained and rinsed garbanzo beans, white beans and kidney beans. You could replace the kidney beans with black beans, or use green beans. Whatever floats your boat!
Once you have a base of beans ready to go, add any fresh chopped ingredients. Celery, green onions, shallots, herbs or chopped bell peppers are all good options.
The dressing is my go-to super simple salad dressing. Make a double batch and stash the extra for weeknight salads. Here’s a quick salad dressing tutorial from YouTube to give you all the pointers:
Last but not least, the sugar is optional, but it balances the flavor of the tart dressing and makes this taste like my memory tells me it should. If you prefer a little maple syrup or honey to balance the flavor, that works too. Or try leaving it out entirely and see what you think!
How long does three bean salad last?
Three bean salad will lasts for about a week in the refrigerator. Store it in a covered storage container. Some of the liquid will absorb into the beans as it sits, so you may end up wanting to add a little more dressing or salt before serving. Let it come to room temperature before dishing it up.
What do you eat with bean salad?
Snack on it for lunch, or as a quick dinner side dish. Add it to a mixed green salad. Or toss in some canned tuna for added protein and flavor.
Watch Me Make Three Bean Salad on HoustonLife!
Looking for more salad recipes?
- Kale and Brussels Sprouts Salad
- Easy Caesar Salad (Whole30 Adaptable)
- Red Cabbage Salad with Herbs (Whole30)
- Mixed Greens with Crunchy Almond-Chili “Croutons”
- Learn how to stock your pantry and freezer
Three Bean Salad
- 1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15-ounce) can can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 red onion, finely chopped, or a diced shallot or 3-4 thinly sliced green onions
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup loosely packed chopped flat-leaf parsley (or dill, cilantro, rosemary or whatever you have!)
- Super simple salad dressing
- 1/4 cup cane or refined sugar, or honey or maple syrup to taste
- Maldon or kosher salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium bowl, mix all the beans together.
- Add any other chopped onions or vegetables you have on hand: diced bell pepper, diced cucumber, diced green beans or cherry tomatoes. Add the herbs and toss to combine.
- Drizzle with about 1/2 cup of super simple salad dressing. Add the sugar, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Let the salad come to room temp before serving, and taste for seasoning because you may need more salt or salad dressing.