Today is my last full day of Whole30! I finally have the energy that Whole30 graduates gush about. Cooking and eating delicious food this month is really what kept me going, and I can’t wait to share more of my favorite new recipes. I’ve added a “Whole30” category in the right hand navigation of my site and will keep adding compliant recipes there.
This BLT frittata was in rotation several times, and with a sprinkling of cilantro and a side of avocado and salsa, it’s perfectly delicious. Bacon, spinach and tomatoes are sautéed before the eggs are added, and the bacon and veggie base would be a tasty side to roast chicken or salmon.
While I plan to continue eating a “Whole30-ish” diet, I can’t wait to reintroduce legumes and whole grains. Black beans with tacos, miso soup and edamame are coming up soon. Followed a couple days later by oatmeal, steamed rice and quinoa. But first, wine.
My family was very patient with me over the past month, or maybe they just didn’t realize they were eating Whole30 dinners almost every night. I sure can’t wait to go out to dinner without asking the waiter a million questions about everything from vinaigrette ingredients to the oil used to roast vegetables.
Here are 5 things I learned during Whole30:
1) Sugar is in everything. Seriously, 90% of the ingredients on shelves have added sugar of some kind.
2) Read labels. See above. Even things you’re sure won’t have added sugar, like chicken stock, sometimes do.
3) PLAN! Ok, I knew this already, since I’m a meal planning evangelist. But your success is directly related to planning ahead. Chart out your dinners, stock your refrigerator and research delicious recipes to keep you satiated and content.
4) Avocados, dates, almond butter, riced cauliflower and coconut milk are manna from heaven.
5) I still want a glass of wine.
If you’re considering doing a Whole30, I can only say DO IT! You will cut your cravings for sweet, salty and crunchy and retrain yourself to be careful about what you put in your body. You will feel better, maybe not at first, but keep going. See you on the other side.
Whole30 BLT Frittata
- 12 large eggs whisked well
- 4 slices sugar-free bacon look for Whole30 compliant bacon
- Freshly grated pepper
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic about 3 cloves
- 8 cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 cup fresh spinach leaves chopped
- Kosher salt or Maldon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and a few rinds of black pepper; set aside.
- Warm a 10- to 11- inch oven-proof sauté or cast iron pan over medium high heat. Add the bacon and fry until crispy. Remove bacon and set aside, leaving bacon fat in the pan.
- In the same pan, warm the bacon fat over medium heat and add the onion. Sauté the onions for about 2 minutes until softened and lightly browned. Add the garlic, cherry tomatoes and spinach leaves and stir.
- Add the whisked eggs and let set for about 30 seconds over medium heat.
- Transfer the pan to the preheated oven and let the frittata cook until the eggs are just set, about 25-30 minutes. Remove the frittata from the oven, cut into wedges and serve.