Vegetarian Egg Roll Bowls
Yield 4-6 servings
Use Napa Cabbage sliced thin for this vegetarian sauté; shiitake mushrooms are delicious here, but if you can’t find them, cremini mushrooms also work. Adapted from Lexi’s Clean Kitchen, who adapted her recipe from Skinnytaste, their versions use 7 ounces ground pork, which is a tasty addition.
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- ½ small yellow or white onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 ½ cups finely sliced Napa or green cabbage
- 2 cups finely sliced baby bok choy
- ½ cup shredded or grated carrots
- 2 ½ ounces sliced shiitake or cremini mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon mirin
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce, tamari (gluten-free), or coconut aminos (gluten-free and soy-free)
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 scallions, sliced on the bias
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds (optional)
In a large sauté pan or work over medium heat, add the avocado oil.
Add the onion and sauté until soft, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and cook an additional 1-2 minutes, stirring, until softened and fragrant. Add the cabbage, bok choy, carrots and mushrooms and stir.
Pour in the mirin, tamari (or soy sauce or coconut aminos) and sesame oil. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage and bok choy are wilted but still crunchy, 3 to 4 minutes.
Serve warm, garnished with scallions and sesame seeds.