Vegetarian Egg Roll Bowls
Use Napa Cabbage sliced thin for this vegetarian sauté; shiitake mushrooms are delicious here, but if you can't find them, cremini mushrooms also work. Adapted from Lexi's Clean Kitchen, who adapted her recipe from Skinnytaste, their versions use 7 ounces ground pork, which is a tasty addition.
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- ½ small yellow or white onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 ½ cups finely sliced Napa or green cabbage
- 2 cups finely sliced baby bok choy
- ½ cup shredded or grated carrots
- 2 ½ ounces sliced shiitake or cremini mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon mirin
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce tamari (gluten-free), or coconut aminos (gluten-free and soy-free)
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 scallions sliced on the bias
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds optional
- In a large sauté pan or work over medium heat, add the avocado oil.
- Add the onion and sauté until soft, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and cook an additional 1-2 minutes, stirring, until softened and fragrant. Add the cabbage, bok choy, carrots and mushrooms and stir.
- Pour in the mirin, tamari (or soy sauce or coconut aminos) and sesame oil. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage and bok choy are wilted but still crunchy, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Serve warm, garnished with scallions and sesame seeds.